Friday, October 17, 2008

Back on Top

I've had no motivation the last week or so. Ever since I got that last rejection I just couldn't bring myself to sit down in front of my manuscript and do any decent work on it. Last night I talked to my husband about it. Lucky for me he's one hundred per cent supportive of me and this crazy career I've thrown myself into.
After talking it all out, sharing my frustrations and knowing he feels the same way on my behalf, I felt much better and now have renewed energy to get back in there and continue slogging away at it all.
But it did make me think. Like I said, I'm lucky because my husband, the rest of my extended family and friends are all very supportive and believe that I can do whatever I set my mind to. But what about the struggling and yet-to-be-published authors out there who don't have that support base? I find it hard enough as it is without having to defend my choices to the people around me. And I know for many aspiring authors, that is the situation they are in. They're on their own, and maybe the people around them aren't so encouraging and use every rejection as a "see, you're not going to get published."
So today I can get back in the game and I don't know if my husband, family, and friends will ever know how much I appreciate and rely on their continued and unquestioning support. Hopefully, one day I will be able to repay them in kind.
Song: Lodi by Creedence Clearwater Revival

No comments: