Friday, October 31, 2008

Amending the Plan

I didn't manage to reach my target for Book In A Week last week. I fell about 1500 words short because I got called into work early Sunday morning (I know, the travesty of having to work on a Sunday!) Otherwise I would have easily made it. I suppose it just ended up being one of those weeks.
In other news I've amended my getting-published-plan (yes, I have a plan that I do these things by). Actually, I suppose I haven't amended it so much as extended it. I hadn't thought much beyond this round of proposals/letters/competition entries, so I had known for a while I needed to work out what I was going to do next, plus I was starting to feel some burn-out on my SOAP project.
Since the whole writing-for-Harlequin idea occurred to me, I've been thinking and thinking and thinking about it. And then a few weeks ago there was some discussion on the RWA e-loop about Harlequin changing their submissions process over to email.
Now I've never read a single thing with the Harlequin/Silhouette/Mills and Boons imprint on it. The closet I've come is reading a MIRA imprint, but of course that's not category romance, it's their single title imprint. So I went out and had a look at some bookstores, Big W and Kmart to see what was on the shelves. I ended up buying a couple of different imprints: Intrigue, Suspense, and a new one, Passionate Protectors. After reading them, I realized they're actually not that different to what I'm already doing with my SOAP series. Of course, I wouldn't be able to sell my SOAP series to them, it's too long. But I've had an idea floating around in my head for a while that I've been wanting to write, and like I said, I've started feeling some serious burn-out coming on from working on my SOAP series. I think the best thing to do right now would be to concentrate on something else for a little while.
I won't be entirely putting my SOAP series away, just not writing anything new. As you know, I'm about half way through the second book, but I'm going to put that on hold. While I'm writing the manuscript for Harlequin, I'm going to continue editing SOAP book one, and enter it in a few different competitions. But, I've decided that if I don't get anywhere with any of the current agents/competitions, I'm going to take it off the market and do some major tweaking and then probably start all over again. While all this is going on I plan to (hopefully) quickly write and submit to either Harlequin Suspense or Silhouette Romantic Suspense. I think I'm leaning towards SRS at the moment, because from their writing guidelines its probably closest to what I like to write.
So overall, I'm feeling re-energized and refreshed. I like getting to a point in my journey when a new path opens up and I feel that once again I am getting closer to my 'yes.' It will happen. I'm just too determined for it not to. And from most everything I've read, persistence is one of the biggest keys. I will succeed where others will not because I'm just so stubborn that I refuse to give up.
Song: Greg! The Stop Sign! by TISM

1 comment:

Ilia Mogilevsky said...

Hi Jess,

I stumbled on your blog and decided to leave you a comment. I am currently developing a new site dedicated to short story writers called slapastory.com. As an avid reader myself i wanted to find a site that i can simply read an interesting story without signing up or trolling through the site for a good story.

Since you are a writer, i would love it if you can check it out - we have a romance section with good stories in it.

Thanks in advance.
Ilia Mogilevsky
PS. I am from Melbourne :>