Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Disposable

I'm totally up for stealing, so here's this:

Washington Post article on the quality of books published today.

It was linked on an agent's blog, she was asking what our opinion on it was.
Personally, I'd never considered my work as disposable before. I suppose I never considered it much beyond the shallows. I write it, I love it, one day I hope an agent and publisher will love it so that book-buyers around the world can love it (or not) as well. I never thought of my unsold copies getting mulched. Of course, I did know that it was a fairly common practice and it may sound stupid, but I never put the two together. I can say straight up that I am not in this game for wealth and fame. If that was the case, I would have given up years ago, because lets face it, this job isn't exactly making me any money. After seven years, I'm yet to make a dollar.
This article is interesting in that it talks about where the future of the publishing world may lay. Major publishing houses hoarding all the power as we know it today may become a thing of the past as print-on-demand and self publishing becomes more accessible and an easier way for an author to get whatever they have to say out into the world.
Once again, I find myself coming back to WeBook. I still can't decide what I think about it. Should I put some work on there, devote a large chunk of the time I used to spend preparing proposals for agents, writing to agents, looking for agents, reading agent blogs to keep up with what they're doing and instead commit myself to becoming a webook star? It would take hard work and strategy because I have no doubt that being successful on webook won't just come down to my writing, but how well I can put myself out there and catch people's attention. And if I do happen to make something of myself on webook, what does that mean for my other work and more traditional career path? Would agents and publishers avoid me like the plague because I've got myself all tied up in webook, or would it actually help me attract an agent? Does it just come down to the fact that I might be too afraid to embrace new technology and the changes that brings, as the publishing industry apparently takes a new direction?
I knew the path to publishing was going to be a hard one, but all the time new scenarios are thrown into the mix. And I've totally forgotten what my original point was, so I think I'll just get back to my manuscript.

No comments: