Thursday, May 1, 2008

Dilemma

Apparently I'm all for the one word titles at the moment.
Anyway, to the point of why I decided to blog. With my current WIP, towards the end of my book I introduce a team of elite special forces soldiers (a certain team of them, not SEALs, they've been done to death, but a different elite special forces team) which play a small part in the continuing evolution of the storyline that runs over the entire series. After this series is finished, there's a possibility of branching into a kind of spin-off series (I suppose you could say) featuring this team of SF soldiers. I've done SO much research (my eyes are about to fall out of my head) and am going to start making notes in some form of order so the information is useful to me, however I know that some of the questions I have (such as how many would typically be in a team that is deployed for certain missions, what would typically be their rank etc, etc) would be best answered by someone who actually is one of these SF soldiers. Well, after searching and searching and googling until my fingers were about to bleed from the finger nails, I finally found a site where these SF soldiers have a discussion board. These soldiers are obviously pretty full on, and I don't know how they'd react to me joining up and going "hi! I'm an author. I'm writing a book about you guys, sort of. Can you tell me..."
They might just go "what the f*%k?!?! why the f*#k don't you just f#^k off and leave us to save the f^#*ing free world?" And from briefly reading the board, this is a good guess as to what they might say.
But on the other hand, if they do decide to help me and then I decide the info won't fit in with my storylines and I decide to take 'artistic license' will they then also be pissed off? This is why I need an agent! An agent would tell me what she thought was best, or hook me up with someone who could help! Maybe I'll just wait until I have an agent and cross the bridge then. I really would like to have the help of someone who can give me accurate information about what happens with these SF soldiers, just because I do like to write accurately. Anyway, I've been in front of this computer for far too long.

1 comment:

lynn said...

I'd say go for it. the worst they can do is say f*#k off, right? It might help if you open by saying that you've always been impressed with teams like theirs and want to make sure you do them justice in your novel--you know, appeal to their pride so that they feel it's in their best interests to help you so that SF guys like them are portrayed correctly.

Lemme know how it goes!