Friday, April 11, 2008

Distraction or Action

Its amazing what will tweak things in your mind. One of the agents I'm particularly interested in runs comps on her blog for the different romance genres. Basically you enter the first hundred words of your ms and the agents award the winner to whichever grabs their attention the best. I realized when I went to enter with my current WIP, the beginning of Chapter 2 was far more reader-grabbing than the beginning of Chapter 1. Since Chapter 1 introduces the heroine, while Chapter 2 introduces the hero, I was ale to swap them around with a bit of tweaking and now the book is actually flowing a lot better. Sometimes it takes an outside source to see something new about your work, or reveal things that can be fixed to you.
Of course, in my heart of hearts I hope that I might win or at least get a runners up or mention. That way I'll have more ammo to fire off when I write to this agent. But of course the competition is stiff, there are many other great entries.
Anyway, I sort of did create more work for myself by doing all this tweaking. Of course I've had to do some re-writing to make it fit, but nothing too dramatic. Hopefully it won't be too much longer before I'm ready to send off my letters to agents. I feel like I've been saying that forever, but I am getting closer, and at least I'll know what I have to send in will be as good as I can get it.

No comments: