Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Progress

I'm happy to report that I've been making some serious progress. I'm now up to 82,000 words, leaving around 18,000 to go. It's very exciting, as I just got through writing the climax, and now am beginning the wind-down and setting up the leads into the next book. I love it when I get to this point. Seeing the end in sight is a very satisfying feeling, especially if I'm particularly happy with what I've been writing. Which I am!
It's also exciting as I can see the next story, or book, taking shape in my mind, and I can't wait to start on the new story, work with the new characters and see where they're going to take me. I'm a firm pantser (I write by the seat of my pants) in that I only have a very vague idea of where I'm going and what's going to happen on the way. I don't know where it comes from, but the stories are always already there somewhere, and the characters pretty much just run away with it. Kinda like reading a book. From the blurb, you know the basis of what's going to happen, but you don't know the details until you actually read them. That's how my writing works. I don't know the details until I'm actually writing them. The characters have total control over this process. I'm sure I could sit down and meticulously plan something out, but once I got going, the characters would go their own way and all that planning would be for nothing!
Anyhoo, I should get back to it. The sooner I get it finished, the sooner I can start writing to agents and start on the next book.

No comments: