Saturday, March 31, 2007

Meanwhile, I totally agree

Take that Channel 10!

...think you're so smart, learn how to use the internets, PLEASE!

Supernatural - Playthings

I wasn't going to say anything, truly, I wasn't, but I just can't help myself...
This week's ep of SN that aired here in oz was Playthings. Some people (not naming names, you know who you are) thought that this ep was sucky. Ok, yes, some of it maybe was sucky. It had nothing to do with the storyline of Ava and the yellow-eyed-demon (who, coincidentally, Cafrine and I have decided to call Vlandach, because it's frickin' annoying having to say 'yellow-eyed-demon' every time we want to talk about him. I mean, seriously, the creators/writers could have at least given him a name.), though this ep still did touch on the subject of Sam's destiny.
However, I have to say that I thought it was a classic and I'm glad the creators/writers took time out from the storyline to do it. This ep had all the snark and sarcasm that had been a little subdued (in Dean especially) since Daddy-Winchester died and Dean was saddled with the truth of Sam's existence.
Once again, the boys were mistaken as a gay couple, and asked by the owner of the motel if they wanted a king sized bed. She asked if they were antiquers and said that they looked the type. Of course, the boys were falling over themselves trying to explain that they were brothers, which never fails to crack me up. Next the porter came down to take their bags and the same conversation was played over, with the porter also telling them that they 'looked the type.' Now, Sammy didn't seem too perturbed by all this and took it in his stride. Meanwhile Dean was like "Dude, why do these people always think we're gay? What did he mean we 'look the type'?" Sam's response was; "Well, you are kinda butch, maybe they think you're overcompensating or something."
To which Dean went; "Heh heh... uh, yeah..."
Now wait just a minute (is what I yelled at the TV), what was that? Why did Dean just look extremely uncomfortable by what Sam said? I seem to remember last time the boys were mistaken for a gay couple, Sam was the one who was unimpressed and Dean made the 'honey' joke. In this latest ep, it seems their roles have been reversed. Is Dean starting to be concerned about his manhood being questioned, or is something else going on? I'm not going to speculate, I'm sure there's too many Deangirls out there who would send me abusive emails should I even mention the word 'gay' and Dean in the same sentence. But it did make me wonder...
And they so weren't helping themselves escape the gayness when they went through the whole "Sam loves to dress up his dolls" thing. Although it was totally funny. And I think Dean just wanted to get Sam back for the butch joke he'd made earlier.
Meanwhile, little Sammy got drunk, which was also totally entertaining. Some people have speculated that JP's acting skills failed him a little with the whole drunk routine, but I thought he did ok. I just loved that he made Dean promise to kill him if he ever went Dark-side, and Dean going along with it because he thought Sammy wouldn't remember in the morning. But despite a toilet-hugging hangover, Sam did remember. Now not only has Dean got his dead father's promise hanging over him, but also Sam's promise. It can only get better from here.

Slack As

So, apparently a whole week went by and I just didn't notice. I had an extremely lazy week this week, didn't work many hours, didn't do much writing. I did do some housework, which was very boring and only enticed me to be more lazy. I missed TTT once again and haven't even put in a quote of the week yet. Because the laziness is going to continue until at least the end of the weekend, I'm going to pull Quote of the Week from the +44 song I'm listening to right now...

"The past is just the future with the lights on."

Intriguing notion, don't you think?

Friday, March 23, 2007

Mouth Full

Here it is, Friday again. I'd be glad that it's the weekend, except I have to work tomorrow, so I'm not as excited as I would be were I not working. Which is terribly interesting and probably caused you to skip down the page to find something else to read.
So apparently I had a 'corrupt' version of windows on my new Laptop/Notebook/Whatever-those-things-are-called. It happens sometimes, so say the boys at the computer shop where I bought it. They took off the first version I had on there, and put on a new one. I hope it fixes Internet explorer, because the damn thing was slower than dial-up (I'm on broadband, which is supposed to be super-quick, and was on my old laptop) and it's been driving me frickin' crazy. So now I'm trying to re-load and re-update everything, which is kinda boring, but made better by the fact that I'm munching my way through a bag of Maltesers while I do it. For some reason a minute ago I thought it would be a good idea it stick 6 in my mouth at once, and almost choked myself (duh) so now I'm back to carefully eating one at a time.
Oh, also, I got a link to a free on-line synopsis workshop, so hopefully I'm going to fix my problem of writing sucky-synopsis (is it synopsi in the singular? I have no idea).
Anyhoo, I actually came to submit my Quote of the Week, so I should just get to that.

"A wooden stake through the heart will kill just about anything. And if it doesn't, run like hell."
- Kyrian of Thrace

This quote is from one of Sherrilyn Kenyon's books. SK is brilliant, I can only dream of ever being that successful!
Well, I suppose I should get back to putting my laptop back in order. Blogging and emailing is only making the updates download slower!

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Funniest Scenes from a TV Show / Movie

So, it's actually Wednesday, but I'm still going to post my TTT for yesterday anyway. I spent all day in Melbourne yesterday and didn't have time to post anything. Found out that I won't have to have an operation for the time being (WOO!) and yesterday we woke up to the sound of rain. It was great! I would have loved to just lie in bed all morning and listen to it, but we had to get up and go places.
Anyhoo, we're here for TTT, so here it is. The funniest scenes from a TV show / movie. Just a warning, there is some strong language and a whole lotta spoilers ahead, so stop reading if you don't like swearing or are planning on seeing any of the below TV shows or movies. Otherwise, enjoy!


10) Firefly Pilot Episode – While the rest of the team is out salvaging some goods from a dead ship, Wash is on Serenity, sitting in the pilot’s chair, waiting until they all get back. He’s not using the time to coolly slouch back and kick his feet up, nor is he studying the galaxy to decide where they’re going next. No, he’s playing with plastic dinosaurs.
Dinosaur A – “This is a fertile land, and we shall thrive. We will rule over all this land and we shall call it… this land.”
Dinosaur B – “I think we should call it your grave.”
Dinosaur A – “Curse you and your sudden but inevitable betrayal!”

9) Dude, Where’s My Car? – For those of you who don’t know, this movie is about two guys who wake up and can’t remember what they did the night before. Nor do they know where their car is (hence the title). They have a problem since they bought anniversary gifts for their girlfriends, which are in the car, so they spend all day looking for it. This movie is seriously stupid, and not to be taken seriously at all. Check brain at door before watching.
At one point, Jesse and Chester discover they got tattoos the night before as well. Jesse has Sweet across his shoulder blades, and Chester has Dude across his shoulders.
Jesse – “Dude, you got a tattoo.”
Chester – “Sweet, what does it say?”
Jesse – “Dude, what does mine say?”
Chester – “Sweet, what does mine say?”
Jesse – “Dude, what does mine say?”
And so it goes on, until they try to beat each other up. Dumb, but had me on the floor laughing.

8) Stargate SG1 – 4.6 Window of Opportunity – Ok, so it’s your typical groundhog day plot. Not very original, but so what? This whole ep was hilarious. My favorite part? When Tea’lc and Jack are playing golf into the event horizon of the stargate, until General Hammond finds out anyway.
Hammond – “Colonel O’Neill! What are you doing?”
Jack – “In the middle of my backswing!”

7) Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby – Yet another dumb movie. But, quite obviously, these are the types of things I think are hilarious. In this one, Ricky crashes his Nascar and then jumps out and starts running around the track, tearing his clothes off coz he thinks he’s on fire, all the while screaming: “I’m on fire! I’m on fire! Help me God! help me Lord Jesus! Help me Oprah! Help me Tom Cruise!”
Now I’d never actually been a big Will Farrell fan, but this movie was just so stupid, I love it!

6) Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery – There’s so many moments in this and the other Austin Powers movies that crack me up, no matter how many times I watch them. The most memorable? When Dr Evil pushes the button at the conference table in his evil lair and sends Number Two into the incinerator. Except Number Two doesn’t die. Dr Evil is trying to get on with his nefarious planning, but all you can hear is Number Two yelling: “Hello? Can anyone hear me? I’m not dead, just very badly burned, if you could just send someone in here to help me…”
At which point Dr Evil calls over one of his evil henchmen and asks him to take care of it. After which we hear: “Oh, thank god someone’s coming to help me. You see, I’m very badly burned, if you could just— (sound of gunfire and then a moment of silence) Ow! You shot me! You shot me right in the arm!”
It does go on for a little bit longer, but you get the picture. Hil-arity.

5) Fat Pizza – The movie based on the TV show. Basically it’s all about these guys who are wogs and proud of it. They totally play it up. If you’re the sensitive type, I’d advise you not to ever watch this movie or the TV show (which came back on Monday night, WOO!) It’s in no way politically correct. Like Southpark, nothing is sacred and they’ve broken every politically correct moral you can think of. In the movie, Pauly’s on a pizza run when he bumps into Ronald McDoggal (a rip off of Ronald McDonald, quite obviously). After which they get into a fight. Pauly says: “Your McBurgers are McShit, mate.” To which McDoggal says “I’m going to McF*** you up.” And the insults go on with Mc put in front of everything. Ridiculous, but effective.

4) Happy Gilmore – Everyone knows this movie. The first time I saw it, my stomach ached for three days after from laughing so much. When the champion golfer, (who’s name I can’t remember right now), realizes that Happy’s going to actually be a threat to him winning the title, he gives Happy a warning:
“I eat pieces of shit like you for breakfast.”
Happy – “You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?”
“Just stay out of my way, listen to what I say.”
Happy – “Or maybe I could go make something out of clay, or go sit on a bale of hay? I just may…”

3) Buffy – 5.18 – Intervention – Buffy’s off on a quest to speak to the first slayer, meanwhile Spike’s made himself a Buffy-bot. Xander and Anya see Spike in the Cemetary with the Buffy-bot and they’re… ahem. Well, you can imagine what Spike wanted the Buffy-bot for. When Buffy comes back and they realize what’s happened, her indignation is clear. “You guys couldn’t tell me apart from a robot?”

2) Dude, Where’s My Car? – Ok, I’m probably cheating by having two scenes from the same movie, but this one had to be on it’s own. Chester and Jesse go through a Chinese drive through for some food. Each time Jesse orders a dish, the little Chinese woman asks through the speaker “And then?” Eventually when he doesn’t want anymore, Jesse says: “And then, you can bring it out to the car ‘coz that’s all we want.” To which the speaker says once again “And then?” This goes on for several minutes until Jesse says “And then, if you say ‘and then’ one more time, I’m going to rip out this speaker and shove it up your ass (or something to that effect).” For a moment there’s silence, and Chester says “Dude, you totally showed her.” Until the speaker starts in with “And then and then and then and then and then…”
Also, in this movie, funniest quote from anything ever.
Chester - “Dude, it’s a barn.”
Jesse – “Is it red?”
Chester – “No.”
Jesse – “Then it’s not a barn…”
Seriously, just go see the whole thing!

1) The Mummy – After the steamboat our heroes are on sink, they end up on the opposite side of the river to the other party who’re trying to reach Humanuptra (sp?) before them. They’ve got nothing except O’Connell’s rucksack of arsenal. Benny, who’s leading the other party, yells across the river – “Hey O’Connell! Looks like I got all the hor-ses!”
To which O’Connell yells back in a mocking voice – “Hey Benny! Looks like you’re on the wrong side of the ri-ver!”
The execution of that little scene was perfect, and even though I’ve seen the movie a million time and know it’s coming, it still totally cracks me up!

Monday, March 19, 2007

The Week that Was

So, last week's all time suckiness is probably going to continue into this week somewhat, which is totally crap, but something I just have to deal with. Hopefully it will all be over in the next few weeks (over meaning I'll probably have to go in for another operation, goddammit).
To add to last week's suckiness, I got 2 rejections from agents. Not to worry, there are plenty more I can send letters to, but still, I'd obviously prefer some acceptances or requests for more material every so often. You know what I think it is? I suck at writing synopsis and letters. And it doesn't matter how many 'how-to-write-a-selling-synopsis' articles I read, I still can't do it. Seriously, if I ever get published, someone's going to have to over look my crappy-arific letter and synopsis, to my actual novel. Unfortunately, most places don't want you to send them any of your actual work, they judge you on that letter alone. So I suppose for people like me who just can't write them no matter how hard I try, I'll just have to continue being rejected for a while.
Ok, enough with the complaining!
The only good thing I've got going for me this week is that I don't have to go into work for the time being because of my circumstances. That means more time for writing. Of course, it's quarter past eleven and all I've done so far is check my email and write a blog or two, and after this I was planning on going down the street for a few things and then cleaning my bathroom, but still, I can believe it's going to happen at some point today...
Alright, well I'd better get to something constructive, while I try to think up a Top Ten Tuesday topic for tomorrow since I missed last week.
Oh, and when I woke up today, it was cloudy, here's hoping we get some rain. I know Cafrine will be excited if we do!

Directions Please

Scene - visiting my parent's house with Molly, sitting outside in the BBQ area while Dad is cooking dinner.
Molly brings her ball back for the thousandth time, panting like she's going to fall over and expire any minute now.

Dad - "Doesn't she ever just stop and sit down? The other dogs are looking at her like she's crazy."

Me - "No, she won't stop, she'll just keep going and going and going until you hide the tennis ball from her. Then she'll sit in front of you and stare at you non stop until you give it back again."

Dad - "Why doesn't she just go get a drink and sit down for a while?"

Me - "Molly... Molly... MOLLY! That's enough. No. More. Go have a drink. Go on. Go get A DRINK."

Molly dutifully drops her ball and dejectedly walks over to the bucket where she not only has a drink, but tries to have a swim as well.

Dad - "Hahahahahaha! Are you serious? She has to be told to go have a drink? Stupid thing, I can't believe you have to tell her to go have a drink. What would she do if you didn't tell her?"

Me - "She's not stupid, she's really smart. What other dog will eat or drink on command? Anyway, if she got thirsty enough, she'd go have a drink by herself, she's not that dumb."

Dad - "Uh-huh. Still... you had to tell her to go have a drink. That doesn't seem very smart to me."

Me - "You're just jealous coz you couldn't teach your dogs to drink on command. Molly understands everything I tell her."

Dad, not replying, but giving me a look that says I spoil Molly waaay too much and treat her more like a kid than a dog.

Me - "I'm going inside, and I don't treat her like a kid."

Dad - "Uh-huh."

As I close the sliding door, Molly picks up her slimy ball and drops it in front of Dad.

Dad - "No, I'm not playing anymore. No. Go have another drink or something. No more ball."

Molly, totally ignoring dad and staring him down, willing him to pick the ball up and throw it.

Dad - "No! No more. Jessica!"

Me, not responding.

Dad, picks up the ball resignedly. - "Fine, but only once more..."

Thus proving, that Molly is probably smarter than all of us.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Craptacular

Yes, I did steal the title for today's post from the Simpsons, just in case you were wondering. The reason for this is because I've had one of the suckiest weeks ever, which has been added to Jessica's Suckiest Weeks Ever list (luckily, there's not too many listed on there, but still, it exists and that's bad enough). I'm not going to go into details, it's just too sucky, but it's endo related, so you can probably imagine it really does suck (and yes, ok, I've used 'suck' more than enough times now).
So, I missed Top Ten Tuesday, sorry about that, but I'm here to post Quote of the Week. This week's quote:

Burnt to the core but not broken

This isn't really a quote, it's actually some lyrics from the Live song 'Run to the Water.' But it's how I feel, so that's good enough for me.

Sunday, March 11, 2007

Terrible, Scary Puppy Monster

Molly refused to talk to me all day today. This was very distressing for me since usually she's falling over herself trying to get me to pat her. But not today. No. Today she was grumpy.
You see, it all started when we woke up this morning to find a stray puppy out the front of our house. It was very small, only 8 weeks old, and very cute! We put it around the side yard at first, but there was no sun and the wind was kinda cold this morning, and the puppy was lonely, and it was crying (and so very cute), so eventually I took Molly around there to keep it company.
The puppy was very excited to meet Molly, and after an initial mutual sniff, the puppy wanted to play. It even let out a cute little bark that sounded more like a sneeze. And Molly's reaction to this shocking turn of events? Extreme fear followed by trying to hide behind my legs. Followed by trying to climb up my legs. Anything to get away from the Terrible, Scary Puppy Monster.
When it became apparent that I wasn't going to save her from the Terrible, Scary Puppy Monster, Molly tried to run away, despite the fact that the puppy was lucky to be the size of Molly's head. She could have probably just sat on it and that would have solved the problem, but no, Molly just ran. And ran. And ran. Up and down the same four meters of side yard, she just didn't want the Terrible, Scary Puppy Monster to come anywhere near her.
After the puppy got bored of trying to catch Molly, I decided to come back inside and have breakfast, leaving Molly there with the puppy since I thought Molly was better company than none. Except not long after I started making breakfast, I could hear crying. No, it wasn't the puppy. It was Molly. She did not want to be left alone with the Terrible, Scary Puppy Monster.
So finally I relented and let the both inside, where it was warmer anyway. As soon as Molly got in the door, she ran down to the bedroom and hid under the bed (Molly's motto is: when all else fails, hide under the bed. She follows it religiously). The puppy did a few laps of the lounge room, attacked Pudge (a stuffed yellow hippo of Molly's), and then promptly collapsed into the kind of deep sleep only puppies and babies can reach in a matter of seconds.
By now we had worked out who the puppy belonged to, and they came over to get their wayward pup. Molly waited a good half an hour, and then finally emerged, going outside to bark all the way up and down the driveway, just to make sure the Terrible, Scary Puppy Monster wasn't coming back.
That was when the ignoring started in. I called Molly to come back inside, but she just trotted off down to the backyard. Now usually not an hour will go by without Molly knocking on the door because she wants to come back in. After not hearing from her for several hours, I began wondering what she might be up to, so I went out looking for her. She was sitting in the carport, and when I called her, she just sat there and looked at me. She didn't move an inch. Finally after some insistence and bribery, she stood up. However, it was only to turn all the way around until I could see nothing except her furry butt, and then sit back down again, pretending she couldn't hear me.
Fine. I could see where I wasn't wanted. So I left her. I knew she'd come crawling (or bounding, as she tends to do) back eventually. Two could play at this game. Another few hours went by, it was almost dinner time. I went out. Now she was sitting by the gate. And the ignoring continued. It wasn't until Daddy came home from cricket and I told him all about our disagreement that she finally came back to me. And of course when Daddy asked; "were you ignoring mummy?" All she did was sit there and look all cute an innocent. Who were you going to believe?
Damn her and her cute little face.
As far as she was concerned, everything was fine.
As long as the Terrible, Scary Puppy Monster never comes back.


Molly

Thursday, March 8, 2007

Off the Back of a Truck

So, this week's all about stealing Cafrine's posts. If you're a Farscape fan, head over and check this out:

John's Wormhole

It's pretty cool!
Meanwhile, I got a new mobile phone (cell phone for Americans) today, which is totally not exciting, but I just wanted to mention it. That's all. Oh, and I set the ringtone to play "Spare me the details" by The Offspring. Ba-boom-ching.
Enough said.

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Oh, the Horror

When I say horror, I of course mean hilarity!
Seriously, if you're a fan of SG1 or that yummy yummy Daniel Jackson, you have to read this.
Jacksonian Fashion. Yes, a whole treatise on the strange and wonderful events of Daniel's clothing over the past 10 season.

Quote of the Week

That's right, people. I'm going to start doing a Quote of the Week. Why? I don't know. It could be dangerous, having to come up with a new quote every week, but I do so love to challange myself, so here we go.
The rules of Quote of the Week aren't going to be very strict, the quote could be from anywhere, TV, radio, DVD, my mum, the crazy lady next door who yells at her cat every morning and can probably be heard in Siberia, anywhere.
I'm taking the easy road this week, starting off simple. So...

Sam - "I don't understand, Dean, we burned the damn thing."
Dean - "Yeah, thank you Captain Obvious."
> Supernatural

I love Dean. He's so sarcastic, always coming out with the smart-ass lines. Of course we all know he's just burying his real feelings beneath it, but who cares? One day he'll probably have a total emotional meltdown, but in the meantime, he'll be keeping us entertained.

Top Ten Tuesday Challange-A-Thon... Favorite Song Lyrics

That's right, it's Tuesday again, and not only is it a Top Ten Tuesday, but Cafrine and I are having another Challange-A-Thon. So here it is, my favorite song lyrics. I'll be interested to see what Cafrine comes up with.
(Oh, and I guess I should give a quick stong language warning. So... strong language ahead!)

10) If we’re fucked up, you’re to blame – Blink 182

> The anthem for a whole generation of teenagers. Blink 182 are brilliant, I loved them when I was a teen. To sound totally clichéd, they always managed to say exactky what we were feeling, the whole rebellious “well, it’s your fault if we didn’t turn out how you planned” kinda thing.

9) Have you heard / It’s a silent dream / It chooses the weather of your soul stream – Karnivool

> I just love this one because it’s almost like poetry in motion. Not that I know much about poetry, but I love this line so much. It says a lot, but then again not much. Very interesting.

8) If you walk out on me, I’m walking after you – Foo Fighters

> Straight to the point, what I love best about the Foo Fighters. This just says it all, I love the whole song, since I think it’s about being in a relationship for the long term, not just while it’s new and exciting.

7) As soon as you’re born you start dying, so you might as well have a good time – Cake

>This line just cracks me up, as does the whole song since it’s called Sheep go to Heaven, Goats go to Hell. The line’s pretty true, actually, when you think about it. So people, go out there and have a good time, you only get one life to live and it could be half over already!

6) I found a reason for me / To change who I used to be / A reason to start over new / And that reason is you – Hooberstank

> Awwww. I just like that one coz it’s all romantic and hopeful and stuff…

5) While everyone’s lost / The battle is won / With all these things that I have done – The Killers

> This one’s probably a bit harder to explain. I guess to me, it’s saying that many people in life are lost, but the fight to live happily can be won if you do the right things in life. My explination doesn’t make much sense, does it? But it gives hope.

4) Please let me know that my one bad day will end – Blink 182

> This is one of my favorites, especially when I’m feeling crappy. It reminds me that not everyday is a bad day. It will end, and happier days will come.

3) Someone told me long ago / There’s a calm before the storm / I know, it’s been coming for sometime – Creedence Clearwater Revival

> That’s right, Creedence. I love Creedence. I suppose to me, this one’s about sometimes knowing that there’s problems on the horizon, and sometimes they can’t be avoided, but that’s what life’s all about.

2) I swear I’ll never give in, I refuse – Foo Fighters

> Once again, straight to the point. I guess the only reason I love this one so much is because it’s kinda the way I have to live my life. I’m sick a lot of the time (endometriosis), and I guess I could just give into it and never work, or go anywhere, or have a life, but I’m not going to give in to it. There’s things I want to do with my life, and I’ll be damned if some stupid incurable disease is going to stop me! So that’s the reason why I love this line so much.

1) Every new beginning comes from some other beginning’s end - SemiSonic

> This is the best one, which is why it’s number one! I just love how simple but true this one is. As one part of your life finishes, another one is always starting, which is why we should always look forward, not back. Who knows what tomorrow is going to bring?

Sunday, March 4, 2007

New Blood

Well, I don't have anything very exciting to report today, especially after all the furor of Wincest. What's gonna beat that?
I discovered a new band that I'm pretty interested in, called 12 Stones, think I might try and track down their album. Also, I wrote chapter 12 of my wip on Friday, lots of violence and mayhem going on there, which is always entertaining. Oh, and I got March's catalogue from Rendezvous, and Christine Feehan, JR Ward and Sherrilyn Kenyon all have their new books out. Looks like I'm going to be broke this month!
Otherwise, I'm still waiting to hear back from agents. Already it's March and I haven't found myself an agent or publisher. Better get working, I've only got 9 months of this year left!

Friday, March 2, 2007

Supergay Supernatural Pt 2

I've been thinking some more about this. I suppose I find it interesting that people could interpret the relationship between Sam and Dean this way, for partly the same reason I became a romance author, because I find the complexity of human emotion and relationships fascinating.
Why is it that men can't have an openly affection relationship without it being construed as sexual? For a time, the same conjecture was directed at Jack and Daniel on Stargate Sg1. It was said that there was a lot of gay sexual undercurrents to the fondness Jack and Daniel had for one another, in the same way Sam and Dean have been stuck with Wincest.
I think that Brokeback Mountain really blew a lot of the taboo surrounding gay relationships out of the water. And now authors such as Suzanne Brockmann are taking it a step further, by presenting gay relationships in mainstream fiction. However, obviously close, affectionate male relationships make a lot of people uncomfortable, makes them instantly assume that such an affection can only be sexual.
In writing the genre I do, I deal with affection in terms of sexual tension all of the time. However, the two are not unswervingly bound together. Intimate affection can be just that and nothing more. It's not always going to be wrapped up in lurid sexual lust. Despite affection and sexuality being closely related, in my opinion, they can and do often stand alone. In the same way that people can have sex, yet not have any affection for one another, people, (even men) can have affection for one another without there being any sexuality to it whatsoever.
Really, all I wanted to say was that I do find it very interesting that people can interpret a simple glance, an obvious brotherly love, a respectful admiration between men as gay.

Thursday, March 1, 2007

Supergay Supernatural?

I had to laugh. Seriously.
Apparently, there's a consensus out there in fan-land that there's a whole lot of super-gay tension going on between the Winchester brothers on Supernatural, which has been aptly named Wincest.
Maybe I'm just a totally ignorant and innocent in these matters, but I had not got that feeling from watching any of the brotherly interaction on Supernatural at all. I can see that the brothers (especially maybe Sam) have a strong affection for one another, they've been through a lot together, so it's probably not surprising.
Dean is your typical tough guy. He likes to shoot things, he likes to beat people up, he likes chicks and he loves his car. Hell will freeze over before he admits to actually having any feelings, which made for some interesting episodes after Daddy-Winchester died.
Anyway, i didn't come here to go on about the make-up of the show.
Here's an example of a fan's gay-tension opinion:
http://www.nathanexposed.com/blog/2005/11/supernatural-is-supergay.html
I refuse to be disillusioned, I don't think there's anything other than a close familial bond between the guys, though everyone's entitled to their own opinions, and they do make me laugh...

That Old Writing Feeling

So, the hot topic at the moment seems to be writing (in my brain at least). Cafrine wrote an interesting post the other day about why she doesn't write about writing. And then I was skimming Sherrilyn Kenyon's website the other day, and there it says she writes 20 to 30 pages every day. Also, Book in a Week just finished over at Romance Writers Australia, where participants nominate how many words they're going to write a day over that week and try to either stick to or break that number.
Yes, that's right, it's all about writing.
Personally, I was quite jealous of SK's ability to sit down and write 20 to 30 pages everyday. I mean, I wrote 18 pages yesterday, which was chapter 11 of my current wip, but now, it'll probably be a good couple of days before I write anything else. Writing that much in one hit seems to drain me for a while. So if i did try to write 20 to 30 pages a day, I'd probably never sleep (because I worked out that for me too much writing = no sleep because my brain apparently doesn't have an 'off' button) and I'd probably end up comatose from being drained and low on sleep.
And in regards to Cafrine's interesting treatise on why she doesn't write about writing, well, I just have to say that the masses don't understand. I suppose many people think being an author is a glamorous career (and maybe it is if you're JK Rowling), and they want to hear all about what us authors are doing. But in actual fact, it's not so glamorous. There's all the agonizing over sentences, the obsessing with ideas in your head, putting up with characters bugging you when you try to ignore them, slaving over finding the right word to explain what you're trying to convey, and living off no income, all the while promising your family that you'll 'make it' one day soon, when in reality it could be 20 years before you get published. Oh, and then when you do get published, if you're lucky, you might get a whole 8% of what your book sells for. The rest goes to everyone else.
But I wouldn't change my calling for anything. Creating whole worlds of characters and events is the most satisfying thing I've ever done. Now, if only I can find someone to publish them for me...