Wednesday, June 6, 2007

What to do?

I have this problem. I don't know how to fix it. I've done what I think I need to do, but it got me nowhere.
You see, at the moment I have out 2 proposals with publishers (and them being publishers, I don't expect to hear from them anytime soon), but I also have 4 proposals out with 4 different agents. My problem is that these agents all have certain time periods in which you should contact them if you haven't heard back from them.
I waited the allotted time for all 4 agents, and then I emailed them (politely, I feel) to remind them that they had my proposal and I would really like to hear back from them in the near future as to what status my proposal has. Are they having trouble deciding whether or not they like it? Is it sitting under a pile of other unread manuscripts on their desk and they just haven't got around to reading yet? Has it gone on the reject pile and no one's quite got around to sending me a form rejection yet? Did they even receive the damn things?
Do you think any of these agents answered my emails? No. Not one.
So what do you do in this situation? I don't want to have to keep emailing them. I don't want to turn into a serial pest. I'd like to be able to send some of these agents some of my other work if they decide they don't want my paranormal.
You know, most of them have blogs, and they make it sound so easy to email them and remind them they have it and you're waiting to hear back. It's just annoying when they blog about one thing and then do another.
I know they're busy, I'm not trying to be a bitch, I know my little manuscript is far, far from their list of priorities, but seriously. How hard is it to take five seconds to say "still unread" or "no longer interested" or "i don't know where it is, but you're annoying and I don't want it any longer."
I suppose I'll wait another few weeks, and then try again. In the meantime, I'll be sending out more proposals, and hope they don't hold onto them in indeterminate silence as well.

1 comment:

Kiki said...

Agents are pretty much always behind their work load, especially right now. Between BEA, Book Expo and conference season over there in the US, there's a lot of work to be done on all levels of agenting, from deals to foreign rights to new queries to look at. Not to mention summer beach read releases.
If you need to cheer yourself up by following another author on her agent hunt, I highly recommend Celine Downs (http://celisedowns.com/blog/), who very bravely chronicled her journey.