Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Dammit!

There are a few agent blogs that I like to read, they're interesting and they give you lots of hints on how to approach agents and the way you should go about putting together your proposal package.
Today I was reading Bookends Blog in which one of the agents offered to critique people's query letters to give us an idea of what works and what doesn't.
Well, apparently I'm already waaay on the wrong track. In the first example, the opening paragraph of the letter thanked the agent for the opportunity, etc etc, to which the agent responded:

Don’t thank me. I didn’t give you an opportunity and it sounds sniveling. Be strong right up front. There’s no need to thank me, because your story is so good I should be thanking you for giving me the chance.

And when the closing paragraph thanked her for her time once again, she also wrote:

And don’t thank an agent for her time. Your time is just as valuable as mine. Simply let me know that you look forward to hearing from me. Stay strong. Think car salesman.

My query letter?

Thank you for inviting me to send you this proposal package for my paranormal romance manuscript, The Last Shadow. Also, thank you for replying to my query email so quickly, I sincerely appreciated it.

And the last paragraph?

Thank you for the time you are spending to read over this proposal, I look forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Dammit!
But I don't have time to be upset about it, since I have to rush off to work now. Maybe I'll have a moment of despair over it later this afternoon.
PS... I was just trying to be polite!
Oh, and by the way, yesterday I wrote a total of 4663 words for BIAW.

No comments: