Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Top Ten Tuesday - Ten Favourite Moments from a TV Show / Movie

So, it's Tuesday again. Where do the days go?
Well anyway, this week I do actually have a TTT (because I wrote it last Thursday) and what a shock, I'm actually posting it on Tuesday. I may have already said, but I've decided to stick with the TV/Movie theme for a little while. The reason being is because it's easy and I don't have to think about it too much.
Meanwhile this week I've been watching Dark Angel on DVD. I kept hearing about how good it was, so decided to check it out for myself. Luckily, the rumours were true and I've been thoroughly enjoying it. I love the post-apocalyptic America theme they've got going on. Very interesting. Many people have told me how much they love Logan, and I can see where they're coming from, however for some reason the actor (Michael Weatherly) reminds me of a less-intense version of Michael Shanks (who plays Daniel Jackson in Stargate), and that's all I keep thinking when I'm watching it. I mean, there was this ep where he was thinking about killing himself, because he didn't want to live his life in a wheel-chair, and the only thing I could think was "well, that's gonna piss Max off." If it had of been Daniel Jackson contemplating suicide, I would have been yelling at the TV, and then probably cried some.
Anyway, it's unfortunate that these shows seemed to get axed prematurely. DA only got 2 seasons, which I guess is better than the not-quite 1 season Firefly had. It seems that if the idea is too original (female genetic super-soldier in post-apocalyptic America, a western set in space sometime in the future, etc) the show gets axed in favour of more generic things like CSI, Law & Oder, more CSI, another Law & Order, NCIS (which is CSI except set in the Navy), CSI the third, and one more Law & Order, just to make sure all bases are covered. Oh, and don't forget Crossing Jordan (which I won't say too much about, coz I actually don't mind it. Woody, he just cracks me up), Bones, Without a Trace, Cold Case, Close to Home and all the other shows that have basically the same theme, but with different characters. And if we don't want to watch one of those, we can watch reality TV, which, for the record, I have hated ever since the first season of Big Brother aired here in oz.
So I'm only a little bitter at the total lack of viewing choice, especially since our television stations here in oz are CRAP and put the good shows (like Stargate) on at 11 o'clock or later, if at all. What's with that?
Hmm, well, I didn't come here for a rant about the total crapness of TV at the moment (too late) I came to post my TTT. Of course there's some spoilers ahead, so only read on if you've already seen the following TV shows/Movies, or don't really care. Enjoy!

10) Clueless – Ahh, the movie that was like the holy grail to a generation of teens in the 90s. I love this movie. It’s so dumb, but it’s so full of morals. Has any teen movie matched it since? They’ve tried, but never succeeded. In this movie, it's the moment when Cher realizes she’s in love with Josh, her goofy kind-of step brother that I love. I don’t think he was officially her step-brother, but he was something anyway. She was walking along the street, after failing her driving test spectacularly, and then realized that she loved him. It was such a classic, cute moment, one of the reasons I love to watch it over and over.

9) Buffy 3.32 Amends – After coming back from hell, Angel is even more tortured and brooding than he already was (who knew such a thing was possible?). He decides the world and Buffy would be better off if he was dead, so he goes to a lookout over Sunnydale and waits for the sun to come up. Buffy catches up with him and gives him hell for being weak and wanting to take the easy way out, and lots of crying goes on for both of them (meanwhile, these guys spent a lot of time crying), and then suddenly it starts to snow. It’s Christmas morning and there’s been a freak cold-snap and snowstorm, the first ever in Sunnydale, California’s history. So I guess it wasn’t Angel’s fate to die that day. In the end, Angel and Buffy walk down the street hand in hand as the snow falls about them and a radio announcer states that there won’t be any sun out all day. It was a beautiful moment.

8) Angel 1.8 I Will Remember You – It was a hard choice between this ep and In the Dark, 1.3, where Angel is given a ring that makes him immortal, which means he could actually have a half decent life with Buffy, except he chooses his density over Buffy and smashes the ring. Anyway, I chose this ep because after Angel gets some sort of demon blood on him and becomes human, and spending (I think) one day with Buffy as a ‘real’ boy, in the end, Angel realizes he has to go back in time and make like the day never happened. I think maybe because Buffy gets killed. I don’t remember what the reason was. All I remember is that the fates send him back in time to do things over and though he remembers the day he and Buffy spent together, she doesn’t. In the end, after he has his do-over and doesn’t become humanized, he and Buffy have an argument and Buffy leaves in a huff (she did that a lot!). This moment was both sad and poignant, and obviously one of my favorite Angel moments.

7) Bend It Like Beckham – I love this movie. Not only because Jonathan Rhys Meyers is so hot in it, but because it was really good for a lot of different reasons (too many of which there are to list). The moment I love the most is when Joe goes to Jess’ house to try and talk her parents into letting her play football. It’s so adorable, and we realize that maybe Joe feels a bit more for Jess than just that of a coach.

6) Farscape 1.22 Family Ties (I think, sorry if I got this one wrong!) – Crichton’s finally caught Crais, who’s been chasing Crichton all over the galaxy, trying to kill him. Crais is locked up, and Crichton’s sitting on the outside of the cell, asking a few questions. The moment that really gets me is when Crichton says (and I don’t remember exactly what the wording was) “Do you know what it’s like, having someone hunt you down? I just want to know why, why can’t you just leave us alone?” As he asks this, a tear runs down his cheek. Tough guys who cry? I have the biggest soft spot in the world for. It gets me every single time. Like the ep in Supernatural where Dean and Sam have to go back to their home town because they realize there’s something evil in their old house. Dean calls his dad for help, and of course gets the message service because Daddy-Winchester doesn’t want to be found. As Dean says, “Dad, I just don’t know what to do.” he’s got tears in his eyes and I fall in love with him just a little bit more. Oh look, I just have to make that a point all of its own.

5) Supernatural 1.9 Home – See above where Dean is crying. Ok, he’s not crying. He’s almost crying. But still, we all saw those tears!

4) Pride and Prejudice, The New One. At first I didn’t like Kiera Knightly as Lizzy. At first I just didn’t like this version. I didn’t like that they’d shortened six or so brilliant episodes into a couple of short hours. But when I stopped comparing it to the exceptional BBC series, I realized that I liked it all on its own. My favorite moment in this movie is where they’re at the ball, and D’Arcy asks Lizzy to dance. Of course for most of the dance, they’re snipping at each other, but towards the end, the rest of the room falls away and suddenly they’re dancing all alone. It was beautiful, and very well done by the writers/creators.

3) Stargate SG1 4.18 The Light – This was one of the great SG eps, for all the character interactions and dynamics. On an abandoned planet, an SG team finds some sort of palace. Of course Daniel goes off to get his archaeological fix, but little do they know, there’s something on the planet that causes people to become addicted. Daniel comes back after one of the team he was with killed themselves while earth-side. Daniel soon becomes quite obviously agitated and they send him home for some R&R (duh!). The next morning he doesn’t turn up for the trip back and Jack goes to his apartment looking for him. Jack finds him outside, hanging off the wrong side of the balcony. This scene was a great Jack/Daniel moment, while Jack is trying to talk Daniel off the railing, however it’s not the one I’m writing for. Later in the ep, once SG1 has been to the planet to try and work out what caused the problem, Jack is beside Daniel’s bed, while Daniel is in a coma from withdrawal. Jack is starting to show signs of agitation himself. Things go from bad to worse when Daniel flat-lines and Jack makes the snap decision to take him back to the planet. As they’re wheeling the gurney down the corridors, Dr Fraser is doing CPR to keep Daniel alive until they can get him through the gate. In the Gateroom, Jack hauls Daniel over his shoulders and then runs through the Stargate. When they arrive on the other side, there’s a tense moment while Jack tries to bring Daniel around. But luckily Daniel’s not dead (I would say ‘of course he’s not dead,’ but he does die/leads people to believe he’s dead several times over the course of the seasons!). As I said, this ep was particularly good for building the relationships between all the SG1 team member, but this particular scene was the pinnacle of Jack and Daniel’s friendship, which I think was somewhat shoved out of the way in later seasons for the whole Jack/Sam thing. Interestingly enough, this was also the point where a lot of the Jack/Daniel gay-undercurrent hype was going on. But don’t get me started on that again, just go read my Supergay Supernatural part 1 and part 2 entries from earlier this month.

2) Supernatural 1.22 Devil’s Trap – Dean, Sammy and Daddy-Winchester (who I always call Daddy-Winchester, in case you haven't noticed, because I can never remember his name. I think its John. Yes? I don’t know, I’ll just stick with Daddy-Winchester) have just had their butts kicked by the yellow-eyed-demon (aka Vlandach, see Supernatural Playthings entry). Daddy-Winchester got captured and Dean and Sam had to set off a fire alarm and dress up as firemen to get in to rescue him (and I could say something about Sam and Dean dressing up as firemen, but I won’t). Now, Dean’s not stupid, he checked with the holy-water to make sure there wasn’t a demon in Daddy-Winchester before they untied him, but nothing happened, and they thought the coast was clear. So the three of them drive to the freakin’ middle of nowhere, to some shack, to hole up and plan what they’re going to do next. Then they have some manly, heart to hearts, except Dean realizes that something’s not quite right with Daddy-Winchester. Mainly because Dean used one of the special kill-anything-evil bullets and Daddy-Winchester barely had a word to say about it. Because Dean knows that Daddy-Winchester would actually ‘tear him a new one’ for wasting the bullet, he realizes that it’s not Daddy-Winchester, but in fact Vlandach. I have much respect for the actor who played Daddy-Winchester, when he was Denny in Grey’s Anatomy, he was brilliant (see next week’s list of Top Ten TV Shows/Movies That Made Me Cry). But as Daddy-Winchester, he just seemed to suck the life out of every scene he was in. I don’t know what was going on, but something wasn’t working there. Anyhoo, my point is, that despite the fact that Daddy-Winchester’s character sucked, when he became Vlandach and started beating up on the boys and tauting them, he was great. He just did evil really, really well. And then of course they went through the moment of lucidity where Daddy-Winchester begged Sammy to shoot him and end it all. And then the ep and the season finished by them being hit by a truck. Obviously I just can’t say enough about it, but it was very fantastic.

1) Serenity – In the club where Mal and the crew are lining up some good honest work, River comes in and her ‘trigger’ is set off. She goes terminator and starts kicking butt left, right and centre. She’s even able to get one up on Jayne. Mal manages to get through the fray (using Jayne getting beat up as a cover) and grabs his gun just in time to bring it round at the same time as River gets her hands on a gun. For a tense moment they face each other on opposite ends of the guns, until Simon appears and using a special word, puts River to sleep. The scene was great. Although throughout the series we get to realize that there is a lot about River we don’t know, the whole little-River-kicking-ass scenario was great, and tied in with the ending of the movie really well.

So there it is. Tune in next week for Top Ten TV Shows/Movies That Made Me Cry...

4 comments:

Chris said...

Excellent top ten! When you watched that season finale of Supernatural, didn't you just jump right out of your skin when the semi hit the Impala? I did. Then I bought the whole season on DVD and watched it over and over again.

Yeah, I'm a little obsessed with Supernatural.

Jess Anastasi said...

Me too! I love it so much at the moment. I too bought the DVDs and watched it all over again. Not only is it edge-of-your-seat-action, but the boys are so funny, they're always cracking me up. Meanwhile the channel that airs it here in oz have totally left us hanging. 2 weeks ago they aired Playthings, and now they're playing a couple of weeks worth of repeats, something to do with Easter, I think, which totally sucks. I have it from good sources that the next ep, Nightshifter, is one of the best eps ever... so I'm just dying over here. Can't wait til S2 comes out on DVD!

Cafrine said...

That Serenity scene, with River going River on everyone's asses is possibly the most AWESOME fight scene ever. The change in the sound and the lighting is brilliant, and the blocking jawdropping. My favourite bit, though, is when Simon says his thing and she just falls over. And then, AW, Mal walks over and picks her slepping self up. Sniff! He loves her!

Brilliant choice, bud.

Jess Anastasi said...

Yeah, that's the one thing about the ending of Firefly/Serenity that really gets me. There was something there, between Mal & River, and I would have loved to see where JW was going with it... I guess we'll never know.