Thursday, April 5, 2007

A Page at a Time

So its Easter again, and in my home town, that's no small thing. Good Friday and Easter Monday are public holidays (4 day weekend, WOO!), and there's a huge Easter festival that goes for the whole entire weekend, complete with parade on Monday. Starting tomorrow morning there's a book fair at the YMCA, and the books are selling for next to nothing. Seriously, you can get a whole bag of books for less than twenty bucks, Its great and I go with my sister-in-law every year. Of course, every book-enthusiast for fifty miles goes as well, there's lots of scrapping and elbowing and shoving going on, but it's all part of the fun.
Anyhoo, quote of the week:

"I believe we choose our own destiny."

This was said by Max on Dark Angel. Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for season 2 to be returned to my local video store so I can hire it out and watch the rest of it. I thought this quote was interesting. You see, I always believed that destiny was thrust upon you, that no matter what you did, it would eventually catch up with you and put you where you're meant to be. But this quote got me wondering. Maybe it's more that destiny is presented to you and it's up to you whether or not you choose that path, or continue on doing whatever's safest or easiest.
Whichever it happens to be, it still makes you wonder about your choices. Like if I had of gone right instead of left 3 years ago, where would I be now? And are there really alternate universes out there where other versions of ourselves are living with the opposite choices we made? Are we only one in a million possible outcomes to what our lives could have been? Ok, we're getting a bit into the twilight zone with that stuff, but sometimes I do wonder.

4 comments:

Cafrine said...

Aw, man! I completely forgot to save for the book fair! Best part of the year, that. I've picked up so many good books there, and been involved in no less then two scuffles. Fun times for all.

Meanwhile, I have to say I completely agree with Max. I refuse to believe that there is anyone in control of my life but myself. But that's just me.

I'm thinking I might like this show. Will I?

Jess Anastasi said...

Haven't you seen it? I thought you had. YES!! You will love it, go get it on DVD and watch it!! NOW!
Also, I too have been involved in many scuffles over the years, all part of trying to score the best books before anyone else. How could you have forgotten? Tsk Tsk.

Chris said...

Dark Angel was awesome. I watched the whole thing when it was on Fox a few years ago. I'm still a little bummed that they pulled it. You'll recognize someone in Season 2, if you don't already know.

Jess Anastasi said...

Oh yes, Jensen Ackles... and part of the reason I did decide to go get it in the end. That man is just too hot for his own good!