Thursday, February 22, 2007

Now, or Not

Last Night.
3am.
Inside my head.

Daelen: (hero of my current wip, a vampire, who has an ‘I’m-the-only-one-left’ complex. His heroine, Corryn, doesn’t know he’s a vampire… yet.)

“Are we going to let her find out now?”

Me: “What?”

Daelen: “Corryn, are we going to let her know I’m a vampire yet?”

Me: “No, not yet.”

Daelen: “Well, why not?”

Me: (who doesn’t actually have an answer for this one.) “It’s just not the right time yet, I think some other things need to happen before she finds out.”

Daelen: “But we’re up to page 200, the story’s half over. I really think we should let her find out.”

Me: “We will soon, but not yet.”

Daelen: “I think we should let her know now.”

Me: “Who’s writing the story here?”

Daelen: “Well, actually—”

Me: “Fine, forget I said that. You really want to let her know? You know what’s going to happen when she finds out, don’t you?”

Daelen: “She might be a little pissed, but she’ll get over it.”

Me: “As if that isn’t a totally typical guy-thing. ‘She’ll get over it.’ Hello? You’re mortal enemies. I don’t think that’s something she’ll just get over.”

Daelen: “She cares about me, she’ll work her way around the issue. I’ve pretty much come to terms with it.”

Me: “Yeah, but no one’s been lying to you, unless you count lying to yourself.”

Daelen: “What’s that supposed to mean?”

Me: “Nothing. Look, you do realize it’s 3 in the morning, don’t you?”

Daelen: “So? What does it matter?”

Me: “It matters because I’d really like to be asleep right about now. So, shut up, because I’ll let Corryn know all about you when I’m good and ready.”

Daelen: “Alright, I’ll leave you alone, but this issue is not closed.”

Me: “The issue is closed, now go away.”

Daelen: (moving off into one of the corners of my brain) “Stupid human, thinks she knows better. Just wait, ‘til it all goes to hell, then we’ll see who was right—”

Me: “I can still here you. Seriously, you need to go wherever it is you go where I can’t see or hear you.”

Daelen: “Yeah, and maybe I won’t come back tomorrow when you pick up the story.”

Me: “Oh, that is just SO mature. Fine, I’ll just write some scenes you’re not in. Go sulk as long as you like.”

……

Me: “Daelen?”

……

Me: “Damn characters, why can’t they just do as they’re told? Why do they think it’s a good idea to come and bug me in the middle of the night when I’m grumpy and tired and I just want to sleep? Surely there’s got to be some way to get them to leave me alone at night…?”

…And when I work out what that is, my characters better watch their backs!

No comments: